Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Things I Carry

My students are writing essays on what they carry - literally or metaphorically - based on their reading of Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried.  As they were going around the circle sharing their ideas, I thought to myself, "Well, for sure if I was doing this assignment, I'd write about carrying my cancer."

That got me to thinking - is my cancer really as present as I assume it is?  As I settle in to this new trial, I'm finding it taking more of a back seat to my life.  The thing is, I feel so damn normal! (Except for those days when I sit around with a white bracelet on my wrist and an IV in my arm.)  And, well, of course there's the fact that any time I feel an unusual twinge or pain, I'm convinced that this is the end.  But that doesn't last long.

Most of the time, I'm just going along - just like you.

So maybe it's time to put my cancer down and make room for something I'd rather carry - like a pint of Ben & Jerry's, or an open heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment