Friday, April 17, 2015

Prayer

"Ushpizin" is a great Israeli film about an ultra-orthodox Israeli couple who are really down on their luck.  At one point the wife says to her husband, "Why don't you go and pray?"  That's odd, I thought. I mean, this guy prays all the time.  He just came back from praying, in fact.  But what she means is, why don't you go and really pray.  Pray for what you want.

That got me thinking.  I don't believe in God-qua-person, but I definitely do believe in the creative force of the universe and that that force is supremely and ultimately good.  Plus, I do walk around with a very positive attitude - most of the time, that is - and I believe that my attitude has a direct impact on my wellness.

But this scene in the movie made me realize that I haven't really prayed for my own healing.  As in really pray.  Full on supplication.  PLEASE.  PLEASE.  Heal me.  Let me be healed.  Let there be a full and miraculous - or scientific - departure from my body of these cancer cells.  Even though I say that I'm perfectly happy to share the rest of my life with them, what I truly and fully want is for them to disappear.

Amen.

1 comment: